Education is an investment of time and money. Student loan programs are designed to help you reach your educational/career goal so you can experience the full range of university student life without having to work too much while you study.
To access student loans
- Apply through your province/territory of residency. Applications open June 1 for the upcoming academic year (for studies beginning on or after August 1). After applying, you will receive a Notice of Assessment from your provincial/territorial funding agency letting you know how much your award will be for the year. You do not have to be accepted to your program before applying for student loans.
- Register in a full-time course load in all of your terms so MacEwan University can confirm your enrolment with your student loan provider. You must be accepted to your program to register in your courses.
- Don't pay twice! We will request your tuition to be sent to us directly from your loan. Do not make payment directly to MacEwan University unless you are not receiving enough loan money to cover your tuition or you are only receiving grants.
- Cash/process your student loan certificates within thirty days of them being signed. If you do not, your tuition will not be paid on time, you will be charged late fees, your funding will be delayed and you will need to have your certificates resigned.
- Make a budget for the year.
If it seems like you did not receive enough funding to cover your expenses for the year, you might be able to appeal your loan. Contact the Advising Office for more information at 780-497-5063.
You must apply for funding each academic year.
The above is the process for Student Aid Alberta funding -- some provinces and territories may differ slightly in their processes.
First-time loan applicant?
Take EDULINX’s Entrance Counselling to familiarize yourself with the loan process.