After your loans are signed, you have 30 days to cash them.
- government issued photo ID (e.g., driver’s licence, passport or citizenship card)
- proof of Social Insurance Number (SIN)
- Social Insurance Card
- a tax return assessment
- GST return
- Government of Canada official document with your name and SIN on it
- recent T4 slip
- confirmed (signed) loan certificate(s).
Provide your banking information
- complete the banking information section on your student loan certificate, or
- attach a VOID cheque to each of your loan documents
- the account must be in your name only
- your name must be printed on the front of the cheque
- write your SIN on the back of the cheque along with your signature, or
- attach a direct deposit form from your banking institution
- write your full name on the front of the form along with your SIN and signature.
If you do not provide your banking information, your funding will be delayed.
Take the above to
- a designated (approved) Canada Post Outlet, or
- the EDULINX Canada Corporation table at City Centre Campus during peak times (usually the first week of each semester).
Mailing the documents yourself will likely delay your funding.
Canada Post or the EDULINX representative will mail the Canada Student Loan documents to the National Student Loan Service Centre (NSLSC) and the Alberta Student Loan documents to EDULINX.
- Canada Student Loans (CSL) take 7-10 banking days to process
- Alberta Student Loans (ASL) take 3-5 banking days to process
- other provincial/territory loans vary, usually within the above timeframes.
If there is an amount printed in CSL Section 3: “Instructions, if any to the NSLSC” or ASL Part 2 “Special Instructions (if any),” that portion will be paid directly to Grant MacEwan University toward tuition and fees. The remainder of the money will be deposited into your bank account, if you provide your banking information.
If your money has not been deposited within the timeframes listed above, contact:
- the NSLSC at 1-888-815-4514 for Canada Student Loans
- EDULINX at 1-866-827-0310 for Alberta Student Loans
- your student loan provider for other provinces/territories
- a Student Advisor in the Student Resource Centre.
If you’ve cashed an Alberta Student Loan before
Your ASL certificate will likely be virtual, i.e., you won’t see it. Alberta Students Finance will email you when your Alberta Student Loan is issued.
NOTE: if you are attending a study abroad program, your ASL certificate will always be sent to you in the mail. Apply early!
If your banking information has changed since cashing a previous Alberta Student Loan
You must fill in a new Personal Pre-Authorized Deposit/Payment Agreement (PDF) form and send it to EDULINX.
If your banking information has changed since cashing a Canada Student Loan
You must provide your banking information with each Canada Student Loan certificate.