In order to maintain your Alberta Works funding, you must continue to meet eligibility criteria on an ongoing basis while attending school.
Attend all of your classes regularly
If you miss class due to illness, a medical note must be presented to your Case Manager. Your funding will be cancelled if you have over eight unexcused absences. Examples of acceptable supporting documentation for excused absences may include:
- Learner or family related health - doctor's note required
- Child's school event - verified by notice from the school
- Difficulties with child care/emergency child care - note from student
- Move to a new residence - change of address, lease or rental agreement
- Funeral - copy of notice
- Personal day (including non-statutory religious holidays) - (one per term)
- Certification or placement exams - receipt or registration form
Maintain academic progress in all classes
You must maintain passing grades in all your courses. If you are experiencing academic difficulty, make an appointment with your Case Manager immediately to discuss your options.
Maintain full-time status
You must be enrolled in full-time studies as outlined in your Career Exploration Plan. Prior approval from a Case Manager must be obtained before adding, changing, or dropping courses.
Mid-term progress reports
- If you are an English as a Second Language or University and College Preparation student, your Case Manager will ask you to submit progress reports – you must demonstrate you are passing in order to register in the following term. Continuing in the program is also dependent on regular attendance.
- If you are enrolled in a certificate program, you must submit monthly attendance reports to your Case Manager signed by your instructors. Students are expected to discuss progress issues with their Case Manager as they arise.